Saturday, May 17, 2014

Don't Eat And Leave In God's House

     
      The most wonderful part about Mass is being able to receive the Eucharist. Which as a Catholic, we believe that it is the actual body and blood of Jesus Christ. It is the gift that he gave us at the Last Supper in remembrance of Him and the sacrifice that He made for us. So why is it I see half the church leave after they receive the Body and Blood of Christ?

     I understand that some people can become ill and/or have emergencies. But when you have been a active member of your Church, go to the same mass time every week, and see the same people leave you start to figure it out. Are they trying to get to their car first so they don't have to wait in a line to get out of the parking lot? Want to make it to the restaurant so they don't have a long wait? Want to make it home before the game starts?

Are these really that important?
      I think of it this way: Jesus invited you over to his house for dinner. He set a beautiful table and has cooked a meal that looked like it took him all day. You sit down,chat a bit and eat. Then as soon as you take your last bite you just walk out. Not even a "thank you". That is what people leaving early are doing. You are taking the meal and not appreciating it. You are willing to have God sacrifice himself for you but not thank him for it? You are a walking tabernacle! The Church does not look at this as a mortal sin because it is not seen as a grave matter, but it can be seen as highly disrespectful. Judas was the first to leave mass early, he left immediately after the last supper. Not something we want to follow right?

     After you receive communion there is that quiet time after that is intended to be your time to talk to God and thank Him for everything.  Its best to use your own words to talk to Him but if you can not find the words at the time you can say a prayer called The Anima Christi. It is a prayer from around the 14th century used still after receiving the Body and Blood of Christ.
The Anima Christi
Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from Christ's side, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That I may praise Thee with Thy saints

and with Thy angels
Forever and ever
Amen
     Communion is truly  beautiful. It is one of the reasons I am so proud to call myself a Catholic. We have such a beautiful gift and if you do not believe in the real presence at the Eucharist can you really call yourself a Catholic?

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment